1 quart strawberries
4 cups sugar
8-10 basil leaves
3/4 cup water
1 package Sure Jell
1. Wash and rinse containers with tight fitting lids. Hull the strawberries. Then crush them using a potato masher. You should end up with a bit more than 2 cups of crushed strawberries and juice. Use only two cups in the recipe, save the extra for ice cream topping!
2. Chiffonade basil leaves (stack 3-4 leaves and roll lengthwise, then chop stem to tip). Stir basil into the strawberries, along with sugar. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring the water and Sure Jell to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, still stirring. Remove from heat.
4. Stir the Sure Jell mixture into the strawberry mixture and continue stirring until the sugar is dissolved - about 3 minutes.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared containers, leaving about 1/2 inch of space to allow for expansion during freezing. Cover. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set.
6. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks. Or store in the freezer for up to a year.