Herbs, veggies and grills are perfect summer partners! Just as in the kitchen, herbs and veggies team well with each other or with meat, poultry or fish, on the grill. Here are some “What goes with what?”
- Asparagus- chervil, dill, tarragon
- Broccoli- caraway, dill, mint, oregano
- Brussels sprouts- basil, borage, caraway, dill, parsley
- Carrots- basil, chervil, fennel greens, parsley, thyme
- Cauliflower- basil, caraway, dill, fennel seeds, thyme
- Green beans- basil, chives, dill, lovage, oregano, rosemary, savory
- Peas- chervil, chives, dill, mint, parsley, rosemary, thyme
- Peppers- basil, lovage, oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme
- Potatoes- chervil, marjoram, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme
- Radishes- basil, borage, chives, dill, lovage, mint, parsley
- Squash, summer-basil, chives, dill, marjoram, oregano
- Squash, winter- celery leaves, marjoram, parsley, sage, thyme
- Sweet corn- basil, cilantro, oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme
- Sweet potatoes- sage, thyme
- Tomatoes- basil, cilantro, dill, oregano, parsley, rosemary
- Beef - basil, , parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme
- Pork - dill, fennel, garlic, rosemary, sage, savory and thyme
- Chicken – marjoram, rosemary, sage, thyme
- Fish – dill, marjoram, oregano, tarragon, thyme
Tips & tools
To keep things from falling through, getting burnt, etc.
- Utilize foil, grill baskets or skewers (soak wooden ones in water for 20 minutes before using).
- Place foods off to side of the grill or on its upper rack for less direct heat, slower cooking.
- Faster cooking veggies should go on separate kabobs from things that take longer to cook.
New Recipe to try!
Grilled Plums and Onions
Toss 4 quartered plums, 1 sliced red onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, some thyme sprigs, and salt and pepper on a sheet of foil. Form a packet. Grill over medium-high heat, 12 minutes.