Ricotta Basil Stuffed Tomatoes
- Project Overview
- 8 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- One-quarter cup finely chopped red onion
- One-quarter cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp, plus 4 tsp. grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup diced zucchini
1. Slice off tomato tops and scoop out pulp. Discard one half of the pulp then remove seeds from and finely chop remaining half.
2. Whisk together eggs and ricotta in medium bowl until smooth. Stir in onion, basil and 2 Tbsp of the parmesan, then corn, diced zucchini and tomato pulp.
3. Fill each tomato just to top with one-half cup of ricotta mix. Sprinkle each with one-half tsp of parmesan then add tomato top.
4. Bake 45 minutes in large baking dish, until filling puffs and tops are browned.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving. To freeze; cool completely, then wrap in foil and plastic wrap before freezing. To reheat; thaw completely, then bake in pre-heated 350° F oven for 20 to 30 minutes until filling is hot.