The reduction or elimination of turf grass lawns has become a more appealing idea in the last few years as garden writers give us more details on how to do it beautifully; plant sellers are offering a wider selection of plants to do it with.
The options for replacing high maintenance turf include groundcovers, vegetable or herb beds, shorter-growing grass, patios and flower beds.
Which option or combination of them will work best for you depends on your reasons for getting rid of grass:
- Time Savings
- Reduced Environmental Impact
- Desired Use of Space
A quick scan of the following will help you decide which route you may want to go and focus in on which reference books or sites can best help you achieve your no mow goals!
- Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 Amazing Lawn Alternatives by Evelyn J. Hadden
- Lawn Gone! Low-Maintenance, Sustainable, Attractive Alternatives for Your Yard by Pam Penick
- Perennial Ground Covers by David S. MacKenzie
- Edible Estates Attack on the Front Lawn, 2nd Revised Edition, by Fritz Haeg
- The Edible Front Yard The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden By Ivette Soler